About My Paintings and Drawings …
I translate what I hear into paintings.
When I listen mindfully, things talk to me. I paint what they say. People, wild things, and built and natural places all have something to say. They want me to tell their story, to show them in the way in which they want to be seen.
Thus, my paintings are narratives of objects not as they are, but as they want to be. This is reflected in my painting style which runs from representational to fluid and organic. Recurring themes in my works are a sense of presence (the quality of mood that things project into the world), psychology, ancient cultures, and the natural world.
About My Watercolors …
It’s what I do when I travel or am on the go. Watercolors are easily transportable and enable me to quickly capture what I see.
About me …
I have lived in or traveled to about half of the planet. I’m saving the other half for my next lifetime. In my mis-spent youth, I spent many days and nights in the Arizona desert exploring abandoned mines and native petroglyphs (I found some that were previously unknown, cool!). I walked with, sometimes surrounded by, coyotes and other wild things. I helped skin an elephant, surfed with a gray whale, programmed computers, earned a PhD and an MFA, worked on cruise ships, lived abroad, walked around in Frankenstein’s castle, and (almost) got lost in Morocco.
I love artwork of all styles. I take art making seriously. I study those who came before me and keep abreast of my contemporaries. I continue to research my materials and explore different media and ways to make art.
- Undiscovered – Group show, Art on Broadway Gallery, Beaverton, OR. January 2017.
- Peter Turgetto and the iPad / Analog meets Digital – Solo show, Kaiserslautern Media Center, Kaiserslautern, Germany, 2014.
12 digital iPad drawings based on 1930s photographs by Turgetto. Reviewed in Die Rheinpfalz, Kaiserslautern, Germany.
- Artothek – Group show, Landstuhl Public Library, Landstuhl, Germany, 2012-2015.
European watercolors in the exhibit and checkout program at the library.
- Local Scenes – Solo show, Visione Restaurant, Kaiserslautern, Germany, 2011.
8 digital iPad paintings of local scenes.
- New paintings from Alaska – Group show, Village Coffee Roastery, Scottsdale, AZ, 2010.
- Paintings from the Mediterranean – Group show, Village Coffee Roastery, Scottsdale, AZ, 2009.
- Ports and Places – Solo show, Officer’s Dayroom, onboard Celebrity Mercury, 2008.
- Western Connecticut State University M.F.A. Exhibition – Group show, Prince Street Gallery, New York, 2006.
Reviewed by J. McCormack in In Gallery and Studio: The World of the Working Artist, New York, p. 7.
- Forest and Trees – Group show, Silo Gallery, Hunt Hill Farm Trust, New Milford, CT, 2006.
Review by N. Barnes in The Litchfield County Times Monthly, March, pp. 26-29.
Included photograph of Morning Mist, Oil on panel.
- Scenes Of Country Life – Group show, Silo Gallery, Hunt Hill Farm Trust, New Milford, CT, 2005
- Dr. Jane Goodall Symposium Show – Group show, Western Connecticut State University, Danbury, CT, 2005.
- M.F.A. First Year Exhibition – Group show, Western Connecticut State University, Danbury, CT, 2005
- Annual Evening of Art – Invitational group show, Artists and Friends, Bethel, CT, 2004.
- Exhibition of Art at the San Diego County Fair – Del Mar, CA, 2003.
Second place, abstract sculpture (Ripple, cut & welded steel)
- Student Show – Group show, Boehm Galley, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA, 2002
Reviewed in The Telescope Weekly, San Marcos, CA, p. 1. Featured cover photograph of my artwork, Plastic Osama bin Laden (glass paint on 3 overlapping acrylic panels).
- Annual Arts Benefit – Group show, St. James Catholic Church, Solana Beach, CA, 2002
- Scholastic Magazines Arizona Regional Exhibition – University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 1967.
Certificate of Merit, Padre Kino bring cattle to the Altar Valley, after T. DeGrazia.